Sunday, September 11, 2005

9/11

It's 9/11--a day of sadness and anger and horrible memories for me. I was there. My office was across the street, right behind 7 World Trade Center. I saw some things no one should ever have to see, things I want to forget. But I can't.

I was lucky. I wasn't hurt. I didn't even have to breathe any of the dust--unlike the 1993 bombing of the Trade Center. At that time I had a job in 2 World Trade, and I had to walk down from the 68th floor in a smoke-filled, crowded, unlit stairwell. I was fortunate that I had a tiny flashlight in my briefcase. To this day I always have one in my pocket or purse, just in case.

I was also lucky that no one I knew personally was killed on 9/11. All of my former colleagues still working there got out, as did everyone else I knew who worked in the Trade Center. There were a couple of friends of friends, and a cousin of a friend, but no one closer.

But I still have the horrible memories. It didn't help that my company did eventually re-occupy its offices down there, and I spent a year and a half trying not to look at where the towers had been.

I want to forget. But I can't.

No comments: