Thursday, March 23, 2006

Update on The Project

It's been over a week since I posted an update on my Great Office Clean-Up Project. Despite my colonoscopy, and my cold, things are progressing. My desk is long since done. I took the time to reorganize it. I moved my multifunction printer from over my left shoulder to the right of my monitor, on the desk itself. This allowed me to move the shelf on which my photo-printer sits a couple inches, which allowed me to squeeze in a DVD player and a VCR, which sits under the cable box, which sits under the 9" TV I have off to the left. (Yes I have two printers--not that I print very many photos. But occasionally I do. Mostly I just keep the photo printer loaded with #10 envelopes.) There's still room for more stuff--specifically a component that I think will convert the video signal to VGA, so I can feed it to the monitor. This will be nice when I'm on the exercise machine back in the corner--having a 21.3" picture is a lot better than a 9" one. But I'm not going to be setting that up right now.

I interrupted my office clean-up to work on the top of the dresser in my little dressing area. It was literally overflowing with papers that I had taken out of my pants pockets and just plopped there--mostly credit card and ATM receipts. I stuffed them in a big envelope which went into one of the big plastic storage containers marked "Misc. Financial" which sit in the wall unit. The envelope is marked "Misc. Receipts Late 2004-Early 2006"--that stuff was accumulating on my dresser for about 18 months.

I've pretty much emptied out/organized the wall unit where I hope to fit a lot of the stuff that's sitting in boxes right now. There are plastic storage containers for "telephone stuff," "maps," "electrical stuff," "computer hardware" (two of them, actually), "hardware," "souvenirs," etc., etc. My favorite is a shoebox-sized one marked "misc. little things." I've even cleaned out my tool box, and put all of the screws and nails and other non-tool stuff into a separate container.

But all the stuff in all the boxes I still have is not all going to fit into the wall unit, not by a long shot. I'm going to have to get rid a lot more stuff. I am trying. Today I took 4 bags of shredded stuff down to the basement, but I'm actually pacing myself--the shredder only overheated once today.

Tomorrow (Thursday) is a day off--it's the LGBT Lawyers Assn of Greater New York (LeGaL) Annual Dinner-Dance. I'm going to go gather my outfit for it right now.

No comments: