Monday, April 24, 2006

This is a Blog Against Heteronormativity

Better late than never, I'm signing up caprice's glob as a Blog Against Heteronormativity.

As nubian put it:
in brief, heteronormativity is a term that can be used to describe institutions, policies and beliefs that reinforce the rigid categories of male and female. these categories, supposedly, determine our sex, sexuality, sexual desire, gender identity, and gender roles.
While I haven't seen the term defined as broadly before, I think it's right. The ideas that there are only "men" and "women" and that heterosexuality is normal are just plain wrong. There are plenty of people who are neither men nor women, or who are some of both (I raise my hand). And plenty of people who are not heterosexual.

I am always skeptical when anything is termed "normal." Too often it is more of a value judgement than a description of frequency. People who don't conform are termed "abnormal." Even if they are in the minority, that doesn't mean there is anything undesirable about them.

No comments: