Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Amnesty International may back right to abortion

The Nobel Peace Prize-winning human rights organization Amnesty International is considering altering its "neutral" stand on abortion and birth control, to include them among the rights of women they will fight for. Naturally, anti-abortion people, including some who have some who have previously supported the group, are opposed. Some have already ceased their contributions, even though the change in policy is only in the early discussion stages--it would not be voted on until August of next year at the earliest.

While I think Amnesty International has occasionally gone overboard in declaring certain government actions violations of human rights (not that I can remember a specific instance at the moment), they do good work in general. They should support all human rights, including the right of women to choose to have an abortion. If they do actually change their policy, I'll think I will start to contribute to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!

And, now that I have my basic reading comprehension skills back (thank you for deleting my previous comment), courtesy of caffeine, I feel all the better about the AI "irrepressible.info" mini-banner I'd recently added to my site.

Thanks for the info (she said, sheepishly)...

P.S. I finally found (& recovered) the previous post to which you'd commented, re: the Southern Comfort conference... interesting stuff! Alas, I'll be quite far from the South then, or I could at least offer coffee & tea here in RVA, if you and/or yours happened to be passing through town. Maybe another time...

caprice said...

Thanks for the offer.

Actually, I very much doubt I'll be going. Most of the good stuff at these conferences occurs on the weekends, which are reserved for activities with my wife (who does not want to be involved with my crossdressing). That's our deal, and it works for us.