Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Books on Transgender

Someone reached my blog doing a search for read any good crossdressing books lately. By coincidence, my friend Helen Boyd has just posted a list of her top 10 books on transgender on her blog. I will certainly bow to her expertise--she has been teaching college courses on transgender since last fall, and she is far better-read on the subject than I am. Her list:

  • Butch Is A Noun - S. Bear Bergman

  • Gender Outlaw - Kate Bornstein

  • Crossdressing, Sex and Gender - Bullough & Bullough

  • Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism - Patrick Califia

  • Head Over Heels: Wives Who Stay with Crossdressers and Transsexuals - Virginia Erhardt

  • Transgender Warriors: Making History from Joan of Arc to Dennis Rodman - Leslie Feinberg

  • Becoming a Visible Man - Jamison Green

  • Mom, I Need to Be a Girl - Just Evelyn

  • Whipping Girl - Julia Serano

  • Transition & Beyond - Reid Vanderbergh

She is too modest to include either of her own books, but I can't imagine a top ten list by an objective observer that didn't include My Husband Betty.

Her blog post also lists some additional books that she recommends.

No comments: