Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Semi-random thoughts

  • I realize I no longer need to carry around my little flashlight. My phone has a flashlight app. However, it does not have a pocketknife app. Or a handkerchief app. 
  • The way end-of-season tournaments work, most college basketball players will end their careers with a loss. That's kind of sad.
  • I've been waiting to see the details of the new "emeritus" status for New York State lawyers. I had read that if you were over 55 and only wanted to do pro-bono work, you would be exempted from the $350 fee and 24 hours of continuing legal education every two years. It sounded perfect for me. But my hopes have been dashed, for a couple of reasons. First, there is also a requirement that you have practiced law for 10 years. I don't think I could honestly claim that. Second, you are required to perform at least 60 hours of pro-bono work every two years, and it has to be within a few designated programs. So it looks like I will still have to take CLE classes and pay my fee. The only bright side to this is that I haven't wasted the time and money I've spent on CLE this biennium. I've already accumulated 15 hours, so I only need 9 more by November.
  • Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck were born one day apart. Maybe there is something to this astrology stuff after all.

No comments: