Sunday, August 15, 2010

Not so nice, MoMA

I got a invitation, with the envelope addressed in a font that looked at first glance to be hand-written, from the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), where I'm a member. I was invited to an evening reception for its upcoming Abstract Expressionist New York exhibition. Very nice.

Except it wasn't really so nice.

In smaller print at the bottom it said that in order to attend I had to make a "membership gift." A separate card indicated this had to be at least at the $300 level of membership.

That's a bit sneaky. Even if I wanted to contribute that much more, I find the invitation solicitation misleading and, frankly, a bit insulting. If you want to give a reward for donating more money, fine. But be upfront about it.

Sorry, MoMA. No additional money for you.

No comments: