2 hours ago
Friday, May 06, 2016
Thursday, May 05, 2016
- FDA will regulate e-cigarettes like all other tobacco products
- Officials take custody of kids who went to Oregon standoff
Somewhat Bad, Somewhat Good News
- NYC lawmakers impose 5-cent charge for plastic bags I know it's good for the environment, and will save the city some money, but I suspect that most of the time my wife and I will just buy the bags. As one person said, in NYC we shop on foot, frequently on our way home from something, and it's a pain to carry bags all over.
- US Justice Department: HB2 violates federal Civil Rights Act
- Oxford City Council rescinds transgender restroom ordinance
- How a tiny city in New York became a beacon for transgender healthcare
- California raises age to purchase tobacco to 21
Wednesday, May 04, 2016
- Boston traffic reporter comes out as a woman
- Minnesota college system bars team travel to North Carolina
- ECB scraps 500 euro note
- U.S., allies target Islamic State in Mosul with 10 strikes: statement
- Chicago schools say transgender kids should use bathrooms matching identity
- Kathryn Knott, Dad, Bucks County Sued for $5 Million for “Retaliation” Over Anonymous Internet Comments Knott was convicted for gay-bashing. I hope O"Donnell wins.
- Obama May Create Monument to Gay Rights Movement
- Surge in Ridership Pushes New York Subway to Limit One more reason I'm so glad I'm retired. I used to ride on the Lexington Ave. line to get to work, and from 1988 to 1993 or 94 I boarded at the 86th St. station featured in this article. It was crowded even back then.
- Federal official: DC subway hasn't improved safety
- IS may be making chemical weapons, warns watchdog
- IS kills US Navy SEAL in Iraq attack
Tuesday, May 03, 2016
I'm devoting this week to cleaning up my office, so I'm not spending too much time on the internet. My news round-ups may be intermittent and abbreviated.
- U.S. Supreme Court rejects challenge to Seattle minimum wage law
- U.S. top court upholds cop's conviction in auto repair scheme
- Transgender pride flag raised at Boston City Hall
- Amazon launches a Prime Now website
- Turkey and US-led coalition pound IS group in Syria
Sunday, May 01, 2016
- Jacksonville Sheriff officer arrested, fired for punching woman in handcuffs
- 'Lost' Medieval Music Performed for First Time in 1,000 Years
- U.S. West Point academy set for first woman dean in two century history
- Uber agrees to $225,000 settlement in lawsuit alleging discrimination against the blind The money is nice, but the big thing is that they will terminate any driver who refuses to take a service animal.
- UK strikes in Syria, Iraq kill 1,000 IS fighters: Ministry of Defence
- A Texan who called Obama a gay prostitute may soon control what goes in children’s textbooks Fortunately, today textbook publishers can easily create different versions for different customers. But this is still bad for the children in Texas.
- Turkey detains pro-Kurdish news editor over tweets: channel Turkey is not a democracy.
- Hindu tailor in Bangladesh hacked to death in attack claimed by Islamic State