Monday, October 24, 2005

C'MON CLAYELLE!

I listen a lot to WQXR, New York City's classical radio station. Their announcers (classical stations don't have disk jockeys, they have announcers) introduce musical works with titles, composers and performers in a number of different languages. They all seem to have very good Italian and French accents, and Spanish also, I think. Some do pretty well in German, also. But whatever the language, they handle it.

So I was rather surprised yesterday to hear weekend announcer Clayelle Dalferes say, "Alternate side parking regulations will be suspended Tuesday and Wednesday this week for religious holidays that I can't pronounce." I thought she was referring to the holidays marking the end of the Islamic Ramadan, but that's not until next week. This week it's the Jewish holidays Shemini Atzereth and Simchas Torah.

I understand that Clayelle might not have had to learn their pronunciation growing up in Lafayette, Louisiana ("The Capital of Cajun Country"). But she's been working as a radio announcer in New York City for well over a decade. It's really time she learned to pronounce the religious holidays.

Clayelle, your homework assignment for this week (you wlll be quizzed this weekend): "Idul-Fitr."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi -- and thanks for your charming letter. (It arrived in the midst of a general consternation here regarding the pronunciation of the name of the splendid Mexican tenor, Rolando Villazon. According to someone who has interviewed him, he MAY have abandoned the standard Spanish pronunciation of his name in the interest of an international career -- or again, record producers say he may not have. Obviously, one has the right to the pronunciation of one's own name -- members of my family pronounce our peculiar name with different stresses. I move that we ask his agent.)

I shy away from the names of religious holidays since I am routinely teased by my colleagues, and TOLD that I can't pronounce them with authenticity; apparently, I don't say even "Rosh Hashannah" or "Hannukah" correctly, so I stick to "religious holidays", and sometimes offer an explanation. I
am sincerely sorry if you were offended -- believe me, listeners are (and should be) more offended by a mispronunciation!

Thanks again for writing, and all best wishes for happiness in the coming holidays -- Clayelle

Anonymous said...

Clayelle Dalferes could hold my attention just reading the phone book.