Friday, January 06, 2006

CALIFORNIA PIZZA?

I had dinner at a California Pizza Kitchen this evening. Our movie companion chose it. I had never heard of it. I'll try to forget it.

The idea of California-style pizza just doesn't seem right. To me California-style means light food, with crunchy fresh vegetables (I'll never forget the first time I had a salad there, on a family trip when I was 12. Even the iceberg lettuce was flavorful.) Pizza is not light food--if it's not a little greasy, something's wrong.

But I went, and I ate. I had the Sweet & Spicy Italian Sausage Pizza, "a combination of sweet Italian sausage and grilled spicy Italian sausage with our tomato sauce, roasted red & yellow peppers, mild onions and Mozzarella cheese." If there was sweet sausage on it I couldn't tell, because the spicy sausage drowned it out. I always like to add some oregano to my pizza, but apparently this is not something people normally do to California-style pizza--the waiter had to go to the kitchen, and get some on a little dish.

Did I mention the place was crowded with little kids, noisily celebrating birthdays?

Final irony: on the way out I noticed that right across the street there's a branch of Patsy's Coal-Oven Pizza.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the concept of "California=strange pizza toppings" slightly insulting. As a Californian, I happen to like my pizza as everyone else. My favorite is pepperoni and mushroom. I don't even LIKE tandoori chicken.

I don't get it.

Sirena

Unknown said...

You must have got a bad one. The CPK out at Roosevelt Field-ish (by the Borders on Old Country Rd) is excellent; we go there quite frequently.

And what, exactly, is wrong with Tandoori Chicken, Sirena? It's good, traditional English food. From India, you say? :-)

Carolyn Ann