Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A NEW EYE-OPENER

In my Fresh Direct delivery last weekend I got a free sample of Tab Energy, the Coca-Cola Company's attempt to market a Red Bull-like "energy drink" to young women. Well, even though I'm not young, and only part woman, I like it.

I first saw this advertised on New Year's Eve, on the Dick Clark broadcast. Actually, it was more of a product placement. There was a big sign for it in the background, and people were drinking it at tables behind the dancers, as I remember. I wondered what it was. Tab has been around since 1963, and I've been a fan since then. Until they came up with Diet Coke with Lime, it was my favorite--I'd drink several cans a day. Now, I just drink one Tab in the morning--somehow, it's a better eye-opener than the Diet Coke.

It should be noted that about the only thing Tab Energy and Tab have in common is the name and the color of the can. Tab Energy isn't even a cola, and it's not quite calorie-free: there are 5 per can. And the can is different: it's the tall, skinny 10.5 ounce energy drink size, not the conventional 12 ounce can. But it's still pink.

And the drink is pink, too!

It's got some ginseng in it, and it's sweetened by sucralose, not the saccharin-aspartame combination of regular Tab. I like the taste.

So I'm going to order some more. I see that it's not cheap: $1.75 per can--so I think I'll limit myself to having it as my wake-up drink. I think it's got more than enough caffeine to do the job.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As long you support the Red Bull Formula 1 team, who am I to complain? :-)

/Carolyn Ann

caprice said...

Do they use it as a fuel additive?

midwesterntransport said...

My childhood friends and I used the Tab commercial jingle in our hand-clapping games. I still remember it.

Tab Tab Cola
What a beautiful drink
Tab Tab Cola
For beautiful people
Tab Tab Cola
You're so beautiful to me
Tab Cola
And it's just one calorie.