Monday, March 27, 2006

Save some trees: OptOut

My mail today consisted of one magazine, the Carnegie Hall monthly guide, a "personalized pocket directory" of restaurants at which I can get discounts, and four solicitations for donations or membership renewals--but not a single offer of a "pre-approved" credit card. I realized I haven't had any in a while. This was not an accident (nor a reflection on my credit rating, thank you).

A few weeks ago I "opted out" from receiving such offers. I went to OptOutPreScreen.com and requested a stop to these things for five years. (To get a permanent stop you have to send a letter.)

The OptOut operation is not something the credit reporting companies are doing voluntarily, of course. They are required to offer consumers this by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).

It's a great idea. I used to get at least a dozen of these things every week. Frequently I'd get one in my male name, and an identical one for Caprice (I think I asked for an optout for each of "us.") The thing takes a few weeks to go into effect, but it really seems to work.

So do yourself, the forests, and your postal service deliverer a favor: OptOut!

No comments: