Monday, May 15, 2006

Mexico's Fox concerned about U.S troops on the border--ha!

Mexico's president Vicente Fox is concerned about the border with the USA becoming "militarized," after President Bush's plans to send the National Guard came out. Gee. I wonder why. Could it possibly be that this would impede the flow of un- or under-employed Mexicans into the U.S., where they a) are no longer his problem; and b) send back lots of money to bolster the Mexican economy? (I'm just guessing, but are these border crashers Mexico's most profitable export save maybe oil?)

I depart from the liberal camp on the question of illegal aliens (I'm not going to call them "undocumented workers," like they merely overlooked their paperwork.) I'm a lawyer, and I have high respect for the law. It disturbs me greatly when people enter our country illegally, or overstay their visas illegally. Frankly, I don't know what to do with the ones who are already here. The lawyer in me wants to round them up and deport them, but I realize the practical problems with that. However, I do think we should be doing more to secure our borders, to keep the situation from getting worse.

So send the National Guard. Better yet, use the troops we have over in Iraq, who are wasting their lives while that country grinds its way into civil war.

No comments: