Thursday, November 09, 2006

My mom didn't make it

My mom didn't make it. The pneumonia never was stopped, and maybe there was something else infecting her lung. I got a call from the doctor Wednesday morning, asking me to come in to discuss possible treatments, some of which she was refusing.

She went out her way, stubborn to the end. She wanted no tracheal tube, and when the heavy mask breathing assister became unbearable, she demanded it be taken off. The doctors said she might not last 24 hours without it, but she was quite clear in her decision, and we had to honor it. I called my siblings to tell them to come to NY as fast as possible.

A doctor did convince her to allow them to put the big mask thing on for 15 minutes, if things really got bad, and I think they did that about 9 pm, but it wasn't enough. Meanwhile my sister and sister-in-law arrived from Massachusetts. My wife and I took a little break, but they soon called us back to the hospital. My brother arrived from Cleveland in time for my mother's last few waking moments.

They made her as comfortable as possible, and she stopped breathing at 3a.m., with all her family around her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh God, I'm so sorry. But glad she was surrounded by family as she passed.

Take good care.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was browsing My Husband Betty's bulletin board and I followed the links to your blog. My most sincere condolences about your mother. I went through this without even knowing my mom was hospitalized in the first place, plus she was 61, and that hurt. But it hurts anyhow. I guess I'll contact you some other time about more frivolous issues. Take care. Claudia Cooks

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Caprice. Likewise, I'm glad she was surrounded by her family.

Carolyn Ann

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mom, I met her a few times and she seemed to be a nice person. I know what you have been going through, my mom’s was hospitalized for over 3 weeks last month – they finally sent her back to the assisted living facility last Thursday, and she was back in the ER Sunday afternoon dehydrated and with a brand new infection – I think she’s been on antibiotics since September. If it’s any consolation – I think she made the right decision about being intibated – it is very painful, and they usually put the patient in a medically induced coma. (that what happened to my father 3 years ago) – Frank, Tamarah and my thoughts are with you and your family -

David Marc Fischer said...

I'm also very sorry for your family's loss. Please accept my condolences.