44 minutes ago
Monday, July 28, 2014
Sunday, July 27, 2014
- UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
- BuzzFeed Politics Writer Is Fired Over Plagiarism It's good he was fired.
- Alaska Supreme Court says same-sex couples entitled to death benefits
- Montana Supreme Court reprimands judge for rape comments He should have been thrown off the bench.
Saturday, July 26, 2014
- State judge strikes down Florida's gay marriage ban, stays ruling
- Albuquerque agrees to court oversight of police
- NYC Junkyards Feel the Sting of a Visit From a Copper Cable Guy
- Oregon moves to ban smoking on beaches
Friday, July 25, 2014
- Obama rails against corporate maneuver to evade U.S. taxes
- Maryland shifts insurance policy to cover transition-related care of transgender employees
Monday, July 21, 2014
- Obama strengthens gay, transgender workplace rights
- Friend of accused Boston bomber found guilty of obstructing justice
- Pakistani elders forbid fleeing women from collecting food aid
- Malaysia Airlines plane diverts from Ukraine to Syria The people running the airline are idiots. Nobody should fly with them.
Sunday, July 20, 2014
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Friday, July 18, 2014
If don't post for a few weeks, that's what I'll be doing.
- Appeals court upholds decision voiding Okla. gay marriage ban
- Mom who left kids in hot car may avoid prosecution
- Sudanese family lawyer drops lawsuit against Christian woman I'm guessing someone paid the family off.
- Conn. Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage rights are retroactive
- Iowa: Mandatory Minimums for Juveniles Thrown Out
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
- Atheist to open NY meeting; top court OK'd prayers
- Indiana marriage law is discriminatory, US court says in ruling for humanists
- Military's tobacco discount: Up in smoke
- Missouri governor vetoes bill allowing schools to designate armed officers
- US consumer bureau sues debt-collection law firm
Monday, July 14, 2014
Saturday, July 12, 2014
I see that yesterday's was my 3,000th post. I don't really write much of anything any more, but people do seem to keep reading. So I'll keep posting my headlines and license plates and anything else that catches my fancy but doesn't take me very much time. Thanks for sticking around.
Friday, July 11, 2014
- LeBron James returns to Cavs: 'I'm coming home' Go Cavaliers! (but basketball is a team game--even LeBron will need help to bring a championship to Cleveland.)
- James' return to Cleveland could complicate GOP
- Judge Rules G.O.P. Illegally Redrew Florida Districts
- Ace Cash Express settles debt collection claims
- Laverne Cox Makes History As First Transgender Emmy Nominee Several years ago, she replaced me as the "Trophy Girl" at a local LGBT arts festival awards event. I guess they knew what they were doing.
Wednesday, July 09, 2014
Tuesday, July 08, 2014
- Court Blocks Arizona Policy of Denying Driver’s Licenses to Some Immigrants
- Missouri governor vetoes health navigator limits
- Uber to follow New York’s price gouging laws
Monday, July 07, 2014
Sunday, July 06, 2014
Saturday, July 05, 2014
Friday, July 04, 2014
- Google criticised for BBC takedown Deliberate strategy or not, Google's action shows how flawed the EU's order to it is. The ones who they should have ordered to take down this material were the sites actually controlling it--in this case, the BBC.
- Fake Job Applications Prove There’s Real LGBT Discrimination in Hiring
- Russian lawmakers pass new bill restricting Internet
Thursday, July 03, 2014
- NYC cabbie guilty of arranging Pakistan killings
- Massachusetts working on abortion clinic bill
- Navy's first four-star female admiral a trailblazer with a sense of humor
- Maine governor admits to meeting with individuals tied to domestic terror movement
- Sudan's Christian convert woman faces new lawsuit Adults do not belong to their fathers or their families.
- China bans Ramadan fast in Muslim northwest
- Red Cross suspends Ebola operations in southeast Guinea after threats
Tuesday, July 01, 2014
Sunday, June 29, 2014
Friday, June 27, 2014
- Canada Supreme Court rules Wal-Mart must compensate workers
- Boston to ramp up police presence around abortion clinics
- NY City Council votes to create municipal ID cards
- Deal to End Senate Rift May Give Democrats Full Control in Albany If this happens it will mean GENDA has a good chance of passing next year.
- Vancouver school board approves new policy addressing transgender students
- Montana judge: Suspension over remarks unwarranted He is incompetent to be a judge, and should be removed from the bench.
Monday, June 23, 2014
Saturday, June 21, 2014
- Transgender priest to preach at National Cathedral
- Openly gay governor candidate leads pride parade
- Presbyterian assembly: Gay marriage is Christian
- Albuquerque protesters put police chief 'on trial'
- US slaps sanctions on Uganda for 'vile' anti-gay laws
- Arizona man sentenced to four years prison in baby's hot car death He belongs in jail.
Friday, June 20, 2014
Saturday, June 14, 2014
Monday, June 02, 2014
I have had a counter by country on my blog since September, 2011. Today Canada surpassed 1,000 different visitors--the first foreign country to reach this number.
At the rate it's going, the United Kingdom will be next, maybe early in 2016.
At the rate it's going, the United Kingdom will be next, maybe early in 2016.
Sunday, June 01, 2014
Saturday, May 31, 2014
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Monday, May 19, 2014
Sunday, May 18, 2014
Saturday, May 17, 2014
Friday, May 16, 2014
- Police commissioner asked to quit over Obama slur
- Portland jettisons Walmart investments from city portfolio I'm proud to say I've never set foot in a Walmart.
- Man gets 20 years for role in cybercrime syndicate
- O’Malley signs Md. transgender rights bill I wish we could get the NY version of this, GENDA, passed. I've been working on it for several years.
- Pentagon weighs Chelsea Manning’s request for gender treatment
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
- Judge overturns Idaho ban on gay marriage as unconstitutional
- Kristin Chenoweth coming back to Broadway
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Sunday, May 11, 2014
- Hagel: Military should review transgender ban
- Picking Sam, Rams welcome 1st openly gay player
- Jones fined after sending tweet about Michael Sam
Saturday, May 10, 2014
- Spanish tax inspectors discover lost Van Gogh painting in bank safe
- Nintendo apologizes for lack of virtual equality
- 'Duck Dynasty' II? Brothers lose HGTV show after antigay comments publicized
- Town cancels immigration event over prayer flap There should be a complete separation of church and state.
- Police Crack Down On Illegal Subway Dancing Besides being disruptive and illegal, it's just plain dangerous.
- Brooklyn School Introduces App To Report Bullying Anonymously All schools should have this.
Friday, May 09, 2014
- Arkansas Judge Strikes Down State's Gay Marriage Ban
- British, U.S. teams join search for kidnapped girls in Nigeria
- Wal-Mart should face lawsuit over alleged Mexico bribery: U.S. judge
- States must be warned of oil-by-rail cargoes, U.S. says
- Pennsylvania Won't Appeal a Ruling Striking Down Its Voter ID Law
- Judge denies New York murder suspect's plea to ban rap lyric evidence I disagree with the ACLU on this one. It is a proper question for the jury to determine whether these songs are factual evidence.
- USDA Plans Outreach Campaign, Rule Change Aimed At Rural LGBT Americans The rule change is to add gender identity to their non-discrimination rule.
- Prosecutors drop battery charges against bullied trans teen in California
- Compromise on Gays Pleases No One, Scouts Are Learning Some things can't be compromised.
- Saudi liberal gets 10 years in jail, 1,000 lashes
- Federal land worker threatened in Utah as conflict simmers
- Airlines take case to Congress on airfare rule
- Uganda Gay Sex Trial Hits Court After Controversial Law Enacted
Wednesday, May 07, 2014
Tuesday, May 06, 2014
- 'Lost' Mendelssohn song re-discovered
- Hawaii stops defending law banning same-sex marriage
- Nevada congressman seeks removal of Bundy backers
- Hollywood Turns Its Back on Famous Hotel Because of Brunei's Ownership
- Russian law bans swearing in arts and media
- Texas judge under fire for 45-day jail term for rape conviction She should be under fire. The victim's past (whatever it was) is irrelevant.
Monday, May 05, 2014
- Paris's Picasso museum to open in September after revamp
- Cooperation With G.O.P. Puts Senator in a Primary Klein and the IDC have enabled the Republicans to block a vote on the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA). It will be difficult, but I'd love to see him defeated.
- Target's Chairman and CEO out in wake of breach
- Maryland latest U.S. state to hike minimum wage to $10.10 per hour
Sunday, May 04, 2014
Saturday, May 03, 2014
- 3 Calif. students charged with hate crime expelled
- Ex-teacher to be re-sentenced in Montana rape case
Friday, May 02, 2014
- Interpol, Philippines bust cyber extortion network
- LA NAACP head resigns over move to honor Sterling
- 55 US schools face federal sex assault probes
- Greenpeace Russian tanker activists held in Netherlands
- N.Y.U. Law School Trustee Whose Company Subpoenaed Students Is Stepping Down
- Judge orders treatment for Ohio transgender inmate
- Trans students assured protections in DOE guidance
- Students At Smith Protest The College’s Refusal To Admit Transgender Women
- Indonesia: Transgender Islamic school reopens its doors
- Fired Lesbian Police Chief Gets Outpouring Of Support From Tiny South Carolina Town
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
- UAW can still unionize Volkswagen Tennessee plant after failed drive: experts
- Facebook to Let Users Limit Data Revealed by Log-Ins Regardless, I will still avoid using Facebook sign-ins whenever possible. I don't particularly want Facebook to know what I'm doing elsewhere.
Monday, April 28, 2014
Sunday, April 27, 2014
- Clippers stage silent protest to owner While it has not yet been proven that it was the owner who said these things, apparently his team is convinced. If it is determined he said it, he should be forced to sell the team.
- Abbas calls Holocaust 'most heinous crime' It's good to see an Arab, Muslim leader affirm the history of the Holocaust.
- Tennessee policeman fired after photos show him choking student
Saturday, April 26, 2014
Friday, April 25, 2014
- Arkansas: Voter ID Law Is Invalidated
- New Andy Warhol images found on old disks
- U.S. wins $1.2 million penalty against bank for aiding payday loans
- James Earl Jones returning to Broadway this fall I've seen him on Broadway twice now. He's wonderful on stage.
- Alaska Supreme Court Says Tax Exemptions Cannot Be Denied to Gay Couples
- Russia extends opposition leader Navalny's house arrest Russia is not a democracy.
- Religious Minorities Still Waiting for a New Day in Egypt
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
- NBC adding Weir, Lipinski to Derby I really enjoyed their work at the Olympics.
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize, shares dip
- Silver wants [NBA] age limit change, no rush on others I really dislike the one and done system. I'd prefer what they have for football, where they have to wait 3 years to turn pro.
- The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest
- Russian social network founder says he has been fired Russia is not a democracy.
- Russia opposition leader Alexei Navalny fined for libel Russia is not a democracy.
- Saudi watchdog to regulate homegrown YouTube shows: newspaper
- Boy Scouts of America Shuts Down Seattle Troop Over Gay Scoutmaster
Monday, April 21, 2014
Friday, April 18, 2014
- Man charged in Netherlands in Amanda Todd suicide case
- A gay artist will get his images on stamps in Finland
- AMR loses bid to terminate retiree benefits
- Fraternity closes Ole Miss chapter after racial incident
Tuesday, April 15, 2014
- N.Y. court advances lawsuit against Martha Stewart Living on pet products She seems to have no respect for the contracts she signs with business partners, nor with the law in general.
- Landlords to Repay Over $1 Million in Fees
- Judge: Ohio must recognize other states' gay marriages
- India: Transgenders get right to be called the third gender
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur I still have no interest in watching it.
- NYC Police Unit That Spied on Muslims Is Disbanded
- Smartphone makers, carriers embrace anti-theft initiative The first time I lost a phone I was amazed there was no way to actually disable it. All that could be done was to remove it from my account at my carrier.
Monday, April 14, 2014
Sunday, April 13, 2014
Friday, April 11, 2014
- Pediatrician gets prison for 'waterboarding' stepdaughter
- Justice Dept. Accuses Albuquerque Police of Excessive Force I hope this will lessen police over-reaction.
- 5th arrest made in Detroit mob attack on motorist
- NYC law opposed by banks to move forward
- New Minn. law aims to protect LGBT students from bullying
Wednesday, April 09, 2014
- Italian court recognizes gay marriage for first time
- Culinary Institute of America Takes In Mural Made for CBS
- UMass basketball player announces he's gay
- Federal Judge Plans To Strike Down Ohio Marriage Recognition Ban
- Supreme Court won't hear appeal of New Mexico gay bias case
- Russian Province Declares Ban on LGBT Rallies Illegal
- Social Security Administration makes it easier for trans people to receive benefits
Sunday, April 06, 2014
- Obama to launch executive actions on equal pay for women
- New York’s Paid Sick Leave Law Quietly Takes Effect
Saturday, April 05, 2014
- Transgender candidate elected to Wis. city council
- Mozilla CEO resigns, opposition to gay marriage drew fire This is not a free speech issue. The Constitution only bars government interference in free speech, not the actions of private entities.
Tuesday, April 01, 2014
Saturday, March 29, 2014
Hey NY area former musicians! You know who you are. You haven't played that instrument since high school, and it's just gathering dust. Now you can help a kid, get a tax deduction, and free up some closet space. Win, win, win!
Go to http://www.wqxr.org/kids
Go to http://www.wqxr.org/kids
Monday, March 24, 2014
- U.S. House ethics board sees evidence of abuse by Representative McMorris Rodgers Another Republican in trouble.
- Group of 8 Leaders Agree to Exclude Putin
- VP Biden calls on Congress to pass gay rights bill
- Judge: Labor company liable for Thai worker abuse
- Judge in racial profiling case scolds sheriff aide
- Peruvian club fined $12,000 for racist fan chants
Man arrested after asking bank teller to spank him
Runner-up: NC police seek man who sucked toes at Wal-Mart
Runner-up: NC police seek man who sucked toes at Wal-Mart
Saturday, March 22, 2014
Friday, March 21, 2014
- $5-million stolen Rembrandt found after 15 years
- Democrats Plan Big Ad Campaign in Challenge to Koch Brothers
- Chimp attack victim asks again for right to sue The law is well-established that the failure of the government to enforce a law does not give a member of the public the right to sue for injuries. This would be a very bad precedent.
- Black preschoolers more likely to face suspension
- Turkey blocks Twitter days before vote as PM fights scandal
- Two States Win Court Approval on Voter Rules
- Sexual Misconduct Case Ends With No Jail Time for General
- Iran's Khamenei reiterates doubts about Holocaust
Thursday, March 20, 2014
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
- New York McDonald's owner to pay $500,000 to settle worker claims
- Obama gives Medal of Honor to 24 vets from 3 wars
- Salvation Army settles New York workers' suit They admitted no wrongdoing, but they paid $450,000. It's almost as much as McDonald's.
- New York Settles Bias Lawsuit Against Fire Department
- Students Say Profile On Gay Teen is Removed From Yearbook
- NC School Punishes 9-Year-Old Victim, Not His Bullies
- Pandora raises fee for ad-free music service by $1 a month My $36 annual membership is up for renewal at the end of the month, and Pandora has said they will be charging me for the next year on the 31st. I hope that's still true.
Monday, March 17, 2014
- In Reversal Since the Recession, Some States Give More Money to Public Television
- U.S. forces seize tanker carrying oil from Libya rebel port
- Guinness pulls out of NY's St. Patrick's parade over ban on gays
- Irish ask: What's the big deal about letting gays in St. Pat's parades?
- Judge orders Chris Brown to remain in jail
- U.S. TV pitchman Trudeau sentenced to 10 years in prison
Sunday, March 16, 2014
- Boston mayor to miss St. Patrick's parade over exclusion of gay marchers
- Tennessee must recognize marriages of three same-sex couples: judge
- US judge strikes Arkansas' 12-week abortion ban
- Obama Cracks Down on For-Profit Programs That Don't Help Grads Get Jobs
- Trump says he's not running for New York governor He expected the nomination to be handed to him. That's not the way a democracy works.
- Pakistan court reduces sentence of doctor who helped find bin Laden