Friday, April 07, 2006

Pajama woes

I'm very picky about what I sleep in. I hate having any buttons, snaps, strings or any other accoutrements interfering with my close connection to the sheets. Also, since I de-haired my arms and legs, I need warmth: long sleeves and long pants, made of a thick material. (It's amazing how cold you can get when you have neither a layer of male fur nor one of female subcutaneous fat to protect your limbs.)

What I've been using for pajamas the last few years is a long-sleeved flannel t-shirt and a pair of flannel men's Nautica "lounge pants." I'm not sure who would ever want to lounge in these things, but they work just fine in bed. They have a simple elastic waist, no fly, and they even have elastic bands at the ankles to help prevent them from riding up in bed, or from my stepping on them when walking (I have relatively short legs).

I've gone through two pairs of these pants. The first one needed to be replaced when the elastic in the waistband failed. The second pair, while the waist is beginning to get too stetched out, has a more serious problem--I've simply worn through the flannel fabric. There are little holes popping up all over the place, and I caught my toe in one of them down by the ankle and made a big hole in the thinning material.

So it's definitely time to replace them. Except Nautica doesn't seem to make that model any more. All they (and the rest of the manufacturers) have now is ones with an elastic waist and a tie string. Sort of like a belt and suspenders. I'll try it with the tie string there, but I suspect I'll end up cutting off the ends at least. (I can't just pull the string out, beacuse it's anchored at the back.)

And there's one more problem: there's no elastic at the ankle--I'm going to have to have the legs shortened, or I'll be walking all over them.

Grump, grump, grump.

No comments: