Friday, July 28, 2006

Experiment results

A few days ago I ran a little experiment, listing the top ten searched-for terms, to see if it would get any more people to my site. It took a day or so for Google to do its scan, and then I waited. The result: zero additional hits on my blog. Not a single person came here looking for any of the items.

Which does make sense. I'm sure my site was way, way down on Google's list for any of those terms (the only way I knew I was on the list was to add the additional terms "caprice glob" to my search).

What did noticably increase the traffic on my blog yesterday was my articles on Floyd Landis. Almost as soon as I posted the first one I started getting hits--Google indexes blogs very quickly. I got a good number of people searching for Landis with "testosterone" or "doping." I ended up with my second highest traffic day of the last month.

So I guess if I really want to increase my visitor count I should post stuff on the breaking news as quickly as I can.

No comments: