Friday, August 04, 2006

Your tax dollars at work--doing something useful

When I was on vacation in Barcelona, Spain last spring I lost my wallet to pickpockets. So when a fat envelope from the US Department of State Consular Section showed up in the mail today (well, yesterday) I didn't have to have to open it to know what was inside--the non-cash contents of my wallet. There was a form letter from the Barcelona consulate that said they had received my property from the local police, and would forward any more of my property if they acquired any.

Mostly it was cards that I have long-since replaced--ATM, credit, memberships, and my driver's license. But there was also a picture of my wife in her wedding dress, that I was very glad to get back.

I'm guessing the pickpockets just quickly took the cash (not that there was very much) and threw the wallet away, and someone turned it in to the Barcelona police. When nobody claimed it they sent it to the consulate, which sent the contents to Washington (ironically, the Consular Section is on Barcelona Street there), which forwarded it on to me.

Which is all a little amazing.

1 comment:

midwesterntransport said...

Yeah, wow, who woulda thunk that you would get it back?

Pretty incredible.