Thursday, February 09, 2006

MARTINA (THE FIRST) IS RETURNING TO TENNIS!

Navratilova, Turning 50, Plans Full Schedule With Slams

I wondered why she didn't play at the Australian Open. She has been my favorite player for a long, long time. It really would be interesting to see the two Martinas (Navratilova and Hingis, recently returned from her three-year injury layoff) playing doubles. They could be a formidable team.

I'd love to see her keep playing--and winning. She is only 4 behind Margaret Smith Court for the most Grand Slam titles in singles, doubles and mixed combined. Many of Court's wins were at her home country Australia's championships, back when many of the top players did not make the long journey there, so I think Navratilova has already accomplished more. Besides, Court is a homophobe. She has said Navratilova is a bad role model. I'd like to see her record eclipsed (by a lesbian, no less), just for that.

No comments: