Thursday, March 02, 2006

A DAY OFF (AND A NIGHT OUT)

Wednesday was my day off from my office cleaning project this week. I had a 6:00pm meeting of the LeGaL Foundation board, and with all the hair removal I need to do to present as a woman, I had to get started before noon to prepare. So I just slept late, got up, got on the computer for a bit, and had breakfast. Then I got cleaned up, put my clothes in my suitcase (the same old black-on-black paisley slacks, this time with a black and white print silk blouse) and went off to CDI to do my make-up and change clothes.

The LeGaL board meeting was also an envelope stuffing session. While we took care of business we also assembled the invitations to our annual dinner. (You know the quality of the stationery is pretty good when you can stuff over a hundred envelopes and not get a single paper cut.) That went on until after 9:00, and by the time I found a mailbox (everyone took a big bag of invitations to mail) and a cab, it was 9:35 by the time I got back to CDI. I was very surprised to find the open house over--just one keyholder was there, watching television. She told me where everyone went, so after a pit stop and make-up refreshment I walked up a couple blocks to the bar where some of the people had gone. I had time for one drink (and some peanuts), before some of the people went home, and I joined two others in a trip downtown to the Monster Bar.

There, we found several others from the open house. I had a drink upstairs (courtesy of Mel, the Monster manager who appeared to have just gotten off duty). Then some of us went downstairs for some dancing. Then we waited for Jesse Volt's show. This week it was surprisingly good--no surgically enhanced pageant contestants, rather ShaBoomBoom doing her lipsync drag comedy and some good dancing, and Bianca Leigh. Bianca, singing in her own voice, was excellent. It was the first time she had appeared in Jesse's show in quite a while. Jesse, of course, introduced her as the movie star from Transamerica. And Jesse's numbers were at her usual high level. The only down point of the show, as far as I'm concerned, was the "Ass Is Tight" contest, where audience members, frequently drunk, can win prizes (CD's, DVD's, theater tickets) by holding them between their ass cheeks for 10 seconds--with or without their underwear on. It's not what I call scintillating entertainment.

After the show I said hello to Bianca, just to confirm she'd be working at Lips Monday, when I expect to be there after I do my volunteer lawyer work at the West Village TransLegal Clinic Name Change Project. Then it was back to CDI to change back to male mode.

No comments: